Photos from Belgrade PaleoBlitz

Homepage Forums PaleoBlitz Forum Photos from Belgrade PaleoBlitz

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Victor Perez
    Participant

Hi everyone! Sorry I’ve been inactive lately, I’ve been traveling a lot recently. Here are some pictures from a recent trip to the Peace River with the Southwest Florida Fossil Society. I’ll post better images of my favorites on the Fossil tab. @cferrara @walter-stein

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

Hi Victor-looks like you had a great trip to the Peace River. Β I saw your photos in the fossil database. Β The big land tortoise fossil is really cool! Β I would love to see more pics.

Eleanor Gardner

Time for a pop quiz to see what you recall from the PaleoBlitz! πŸ˜›

@joyce-drakeford
    , @joy-rushing, @gail-fazzina, @paul-fazzina, @rlangford, @david-hanes, @scoller, @julie-niederkorn, @mary-harbison, @william-znidarsic, @cathy-young, @jon-cartier, @michael-reagin

My husband collected some small fossils from Hogtown Creek last weekend. What does he have?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

carcharhinus sp., ray teeth/partial plates and I can’t tell what the curved piece on the left is. Another pic. πŸ™‚

Eleanor Gardner

Holy smokes, that was super quick @joyce-drakeford! I will ask the hubs to take a better pic πŸ™‚

Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

πŸ˜‰

Julie Niederkorn
    Participant

Sorry, I was out catching Pokemon! Β You are quick Joyce!!! Β I look forward to seeing you and Cathy Young and Mary Harbison this weekend at the Mid Atlantic Fossil and Nature Adventures trip to the Roanoke and Meherrin River.

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@julie-niederkorn you’re catching pokemon, too?? Fun! Apparently there’s a bunch of fossil pokemon in the Florida Museum of Natural History, but I haven’t been over to check yet. @comalley had a great suggestion about building off of Pokemon Go’s success and trying to do something like it with fossils. Got any ideas??

Hey Lisa @llundgren,

Yes that is right, look at what our museum’s director of exhibits and public programs, Darcie MacMahon, has posted lately:

“The Pokemon Go craze is coming to the museum tomorrow night, Friday 7-15 (did you know many characters are natural history based?), plus Hyppo pops and the Guinness Book world record holder Pokemon collector: http://www.facebook.com/events/1765397317030777/”

you should probably check that πŸ˜‰

best

Ronny

btw: do you remember that I wanted to have a fossil geo-caching event hosted by the FOSSIL project months ago?

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@rleder What?! You found out about something via social media before I did?? Man, these qualifying exams are really messing with my (online) social life! I didn’t see that Facebook post, looks fun though. I’ll try to go check it out. πŸ™‚

Sounds like a fossil geo-caching event is definitely something we need to get going! I’m sure @egardner and her husband would want to get in on it!

@llundgren

Sorry Lisa that I was hunting in your habitat πŸ˜‰

Yes a PaleoBlitz fossil caching event would be very good event and engaging especially younger folks. That the Pokemon Go thing just makes everybody crazy at the moment is proof of that my idea was just right and at the right moment … so sad that nobody wants to get along with it that time, we could have been the first.

Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@rleder, not at all! I appreciate it. If Pokemaster @vperez wasn’t in Panama, I’d be asking him to go to the museum to hunt for Pokemon tomorrow evening!
    As Eleanor knows, I’ve taken a break from my personal social media for the month to focus on quals. Without you, I wouldn’t have known anything about the event. So thanks! πŸ™‚
    As far as being right on the moment, I think you’re right about that, although, Pokemon Go went through A LOT of beta testing and a lot of time was spent trying to get it off the ground, so I’m not sure we could have pulled together something like what they made in a super short amount of time. Pokemon is a huge cultural craze too. The app itself is still pretty buggy, but a lot of the bugs come from servers crashing because so many people are playing it.

@llundgren,

yes Lisa I understand that the app is far more advanced but having a fossil geo caching event would not need that much of sophisticated technology … it is more about the idea. So this is a good moment to think about it again and go for it … would be so coool!

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.