K-5 lesson plans–Santa Cruz, California

Homepage Forums K-12 Fossils and Lessons Forum K-5 lesson plans–Santa Cruz, California

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@rboessenecker

The photo of the C. carcharias tooth that u found at half moon bay is beautiful (Facebook or Twitter).

The callinassid claws would be great. No need for whale bones, otherwise I am set thanks–

Good luck and enjoy, Bruce

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@acurrier

Hi Aaron–Please let me know the status of the fossil wood for the study kit. I go back to California after the holidays and will start to implement the lesson plan.

Thanks, Bruce

Bobby Boessenecker
    Participant

Hi all and @bmacfadden, I had a successful two hour visit to Capitola yesterday and found some articulated Cetorhinus vertebrae, a dermochelyid turtle shell element (leatherback) as well as the full compliment of calianassid shrimp claws (7-9 specimens) and Dendraster sand dollars (about 7 specimens) you guys need. The shrimp claws are easy enough to put in the mail, but a bit of matrix is still in place on the Dendrasters; I can try and remove as much as possible.

Admittedly the bed which the calianassid claws are so common in was barely exposed owing to a lack of cliff collapses over the past 6-8 years or so; there hasn’t been a good fall since 2007.

Rather than mailing them, could I leave them at your future address in Santa Cruz?

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@rboessenecker
    Wow you had a very successful day! Thanks so much. The callanasid claws and Dendraster will be a great addition to the study kit. If you want to remove the matrix that would be great, although I can do it unless it is really hard (I may not have the right tools with me).

Yes you can just leave them for me at the SC county office, 400 Encinal. It should be labelled

Bruce MacFadden
    Visiting Scientist
    Educational Services
    C/o Mary Anne James

Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

I have now implemented a place-based lesson plan using local Santa Cruz fossils in a dozen classrooms. I am using the attached fossils. Mostly 3rd grade, but it also works for 4th and 5th.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bruce MacFadden
    Keymaster

@llundgren @egardner

I need about 60 of these redwood fossils for a lesson plan I’m developing for elementary school kids in Santa Cruz California. I’m wondering if this request can be pushed out via social media and also put on the rotating display at the top of mF?

It would be great if either of these could get a positive response from our members, etc!

Thanks, Bruce

Attachments:
    Lisa Lundgren
    Keymaster

@bmacfadden sure, @egardner and I are working on a plan to distribute the call out on social media and the mF banner.

Eleanor Gardner

@bmacfadden

Our social media post re: redwood fossils is getting attention. Someone in the Delaware Valley Paleontological Society asked if you could take other types of wood? A member is interested in donating fossilized wood, but it’s not redwood.

Thanks,
    Eleanor

Eleanor Gardner

@bmacfadden, @cgrant

Via Facebook, we received the following message from a 5th grade teacher in Northern VA: “Hello. I am a 5th grade Teacher in Northern Va, and I am looking for help in collecting a kit or kits of fossils for my students. I teach in a Title 1 school and have very little funding but I could afford to pay a small fee myself for the kit or kits. Can you suggest how I would go about doing this? Thank you in advance. -Madeline ONeal”

I realize she isn’t part of the Santa Cruz cohort, but would either of you be interested in helping her out?

@joyce-drakeford
    – You’re in Northern VA, right? Maybe you and Bruce could collaborate on which fossils to include and how to get a kit to her??

Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

I’m in SE VA but she can can contact Cynthia Crane at the Aurora Fossil Museum for assistance with this. (252) 322-4238

Eleanor Gardner

@joyce-drakeford – Wanted to say thanks for sending Cynthia’s contact info! I forwarded it to the teacher in Northern Virginia. Hopefully she will be contacting Cynthia soon! 🙂

Have a Happy 4th of July!
    -Eleanor

Joyce Drakeford
    Participant

You are very welcome! I know she will be able to get her taken care of with something for her class!

Have a great 4th!!

Eleanor Gardner

@bmacfadden, @acurrier – Here is that great photo of you two when Aaron kindly donated redwood leaf fossils for the Santa Cruz K-12 fossil kits! It’s also been incorporated into the rotating banner. 🙂

Attachments:
    Aaron Currier
    Participant

I’m glad you found a good photo. The selfie with Bruce and I wasn’t quite as good. I would like to share that the fossils were collected by Bill Sullivan (founding member and first president of NARG) from the Oligocene Bridge Creek Flora of the John Day Formation. Bill recently passed away and his collection was donated to NARG of which these fossils were a part of. It will warm his family’s heart to know that he continues to help with fossil research and education.

Eleanor Gardner

Tangentially related, as Cynthia Crane and the Aurora Fossil Museum were brought up earlier in this thread — the Aurora Fossil Museum was awarded a grant of nearly $178,000 to promote earth science in local NC k-12 classrooms.  See more here: http://www.thewashingtondailynews.com/2016/10/21/aurora-fossil-museum-receives-178000-grant/

I’m sure Cindy must be thrilled.  @joyce-drakeford, @lcone, @don-muller – will museum volunteers be involved in the after-school and summer camp programs?

Laura Arnow
    Participant

@rboessenecker, I’m working on a grade 4 unit to help kids understand changes in the Monterey Bay environment over long time. It would be awesome if they could study sediment samples from the 4 facies represented in the Purisima Formation (I just learned that word, facie, yesterday). Any chance you can help us out?

thanks,

Laura Arnow, Calabasas Elementary, Watsonville

Bobby Boessenecker
    Participant

Hi Laura,

Unfortunately I’m on the east coast and don’t really have access to that locality. However, I suggest getting in touch with local collector Chris Pirrone (cpirrone [at] pirronelaw.com) who is one of my avocational colleagues in the bay area, and knows the local stratigraphy quite well.

Cheers, Bobby

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.